Cedar Hollow was previously known as Clintonville. The first record of a mill at this site is in 1783 when Isaac Thomas is taxed for a fulling mill. The 1847 map below shows its location in northwest Tredyffrin. It seems that Thomas was only the fuller and the actual ownership is unclear. The Glass Tax record from 1798 has Davis & Phillips owning the 25’ x 18’ stone fulling mill.

1847 Map

Northwest portion of Tredyffrin shown on 1847 Map

In 1825 David Lapp advertised the property for sale:

Gristmill, plantation and tract of land, situated in the township of Tredyffrin, and bounded by the lands of John Phillips, Benjamin Jones, and Conrad Aker and others containing 60 acres more or less. The improvements are a substantial two story stone dwelling house, stone barn, stone mill house sufficiently large for a tolerably extensive woolen or cotton factory…

Thomas Baradaque purchased the mill in 1826. It was used for a time for woolen cloth manufacturing including wool carding, manufacturing, dyeing, and finishing as described in the following advertisement from the American Republican newspaper, 26th June 1827:


Late David Lapp’s Clover Mill, Cedar Hollow, Tredyffrin township, near John Shriver’s Fox Chase Inn

Wool Carding, Manufacturing, Dyeing and Finishing

The subscriber, thankful for the liberal patronage of last year, again tenders his services in his line of business. From the very superior quality of his Machinery, and the experience he has had in the Woollen Manufacture, he feels in no doubt in saying his work can be made to give entire satisfaction. Any person wishing to have their Wool manufactured, can either have it done on shares or for stipulated prices, a list of which can be seen by calling at the Manufactory. It is requested that a pattern be sent with the raw material, and if the article is not made to pattern, market price shall be paid in Cash for the Wool.

Thomas W. Langley

After this use it was converted to a paper mill. The further history as a paper mill is described in the 1996 article in the Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society Quarterly . Around 1870 the mill property was acquired by the Cedar Hollow Lime Company and incorporated in the quarry operation.

A detailed timeline for the Mill

  • 1765 John Thomas; Fuller, Tax
  • 1783 Isaac Thomas; Fulling Mill, £50; Tax: 2.75%
  • 1785 Isaac Thomas: Fulling Mill, State Tax
  • 1786 Isaac Thomas: Fulling Mill, Tax
  • 1787 Isaac Thomas: Fulling Mill, Tax
  • 1788 Isaac Thomas: Fulling Mill, Tax
  • 1789 Isaac Thomas: Fulling Mill, State Tax
  • 1791 Isaac Thomas: Fulling Mill, Tax
  • 1795 Isaac Thomas: Fulling Mill on 16 acres (county tax)
  • 1797 Isaac Thomas: Fuller & Fulling Mill, $150 (county tax)
  • 1798 Isaac Thomas: Fulling Mill (county tax)
  • 1798 Davis V. (&?) Philips owned a stone fulling mill, 25’ x 18’ on 14 acres (25’ x 20’ on 27 acres – glass tax), tenant Nathan Richards. Adjacent to John Monday. (glass tax)
  • 1799 Fulling Mill – Davis & Philips (occupier: Neal Graham); county tax
  • 1800 Davis & Phillips, Fulling Mill, occupier Neal Graham
  • 1801 Davis & Phillips, Fulling Mill on 12 acres. 2 possible David Lapp purchase deeds
  • 1824 David Lapp died (administration of estate)
  • 1825 Widow Lapp & Joseph Henry clover mill (county tax)
  • 1825 Stone Grist Mill on 60 acres late the property of David Lapp (sale ad American Republican 9/26/1825 & 11/23/1825)
  • 1826 Administrators of estate of David Lapp to Thomas Badaraque (deed Y3-537); grist mill
  • 1827 Thomas W. Langley, Clinton wool manufactory, wool carding, manufacturing, dyeing, and finishing; late David Lapp’s Clover Mill (ad)
  • 1828 Thomas Langley, woolen manufacturers (Pennsylvania Septennial Census)
  • 1830 Thomas M. Langley factory (county tax)
  • 1831 Grist Mill near Fox Chase tavern on Valley Creek for rent (ad in Village Record 2/23/1831 by William French)
  • 1833 Woolen Manufactory (Thomas Gordon, Gazetteer of the State of Pennsylvania)
  • 1834 Badaraque’s factory and paper mill (road deed)
  • 1835 stone paper mill, 3 stories, 76’ x 36’, overshot wheel, used as woolen factory, on 76 acres (sale ad, Village Record 3/11/1835). Thomas Badaraque estate – mill (county tax)
  • 1836 Late of Thomas Badaraque, stone paper mill, 3 stories, 76’ x 30’, overshot wheel, used as woolen factory, on 65 acres (sale ad)
  • 1836 Clintonville estate, stone paper mill, 3 stories, 76’ x 36’, overshot wheel, used as woolen factory, on 30 acres (sale ad, Village Record 11/15/1836 & 11/30/1836 by Robert Irwin and Joseph Lewis)
  • 1837 Clintonville Paper Mill for rent by Robert Irwin and Joseph J. Lewis (American Republican 1/10/1837)
  • 1838 Robert Erwin (occupier: Isaac Z? Coffman) 35 acres & Paper Mill (was Badaraque’s estate)
  • 1839 Robert Erwin (occupier: John Robertson, William Simpson crossed out) 6½ acres & 5½ acres & Paper Mill
  • 1840 Robert Irwin to Nathaniel Richardson and Jesse Moore, subject to mortgage (quoted in sale ad below))
  • 1841 Stone paper mill, 3 stories, 70’ x 40’, on 30 acres – Sheriff’s sale (advertisement, American Republican 11/30/1841)
  • 1843 Stone paper mill, 3 stories, 70’ x 40’, on 30 acres (sale ad, Village Record 9/26/1843) by Philip Sharpless
  • 1847 Paper mill (Atlas)
  • 1850 Road plan (75-25) shows the position of the mill pond.
  • 1873 Cedar Hollow Lime Company (Witmer)